Friday, March 27, 2009

Mrs. V

If you would have asked me twenty years ago, I would have told you that I'd rather have all my teeth pulled without anesthesia than ever teach elementary school. At the time the only Elementary Education majors I knew were people who absolutely LOVED children and wore matching everything (according to the current holiday). They were the "sweet spirits" who dedicated their all to their chosen course of study as there wasn't much else happening in their lives.

That just wasn't me. I was the only girl in my neighborhood that hated babysitting. It may have had something to do with Mrs. LeBaron paying me only .75 after watching her six terrible kids for eight hours. Or it might have been the fact that I absolutely detested sticky hands, boogery noses, and endless questions.

I just couldn't fathom the idea of willingly spending my days with a room full of little kids. My career dreams played more like an Indiana Jones movie. I would be the first to discover the Lost Temple of Altahualupe deep in the jungles of Guatemala. Or maybe I would travel the world to faraway exotic places and spend my time writing wonderfully romantic adventure novels. At the least, my life would be full of travel and adventure, and would certainly have meaning.

Well, all I can say is be careful what you wish for... My dreams happened, but for reasons other than the ones I had imagined.

I did get to travel the world and experience exotic places and adventure. My travels took me to over twenty countries, three continents, and various islands of the sea. I experienced the taste of caviar; felt the oppressive weight of communism as I looked across the Brandenburg Gate from East Berlin to West; swam in the Adriatic Sea; visited the home of Bob Marley, Reggae Legend; danced to the smooth sounds of Merengue on a beach in Puerto Rico; experienced the awe of the Andes Mountains; felt the warmth of Polynesian sand; and cried when the wall came down around Berlin. I lived abroad and fell in love with the Spanish language and the people of Uruguay. But most of all, these experiences brought me closer to home as I realized the great blessings I had been given in my own little piece of the world.

And then there is adventure... The apprehension of being detained at the Yugoslavian border is nothing in comparison to the butterflies felt when making that commitment to be married... FOREVER. The majestic Swiss Alps cannot compare to feeling your baby move within you for the first time. It is quite one thing to be wined and dined by dignitaries, and quite another to have applesauce spit on your face by a laughing toddler. No crazy cab ride through the crowded streets of Lima even comes close to the wild ride of marriage, relationships, children, and home.

And finally, meaning... What could possibly have more meaning than being totally responsible for the life of another?

And so my dreams have brought me full circle. Yesterday, little Rafael wrapped his arms around me and said, "Teacher, I love you" (and I was only the sub). It's amazing that a sticky-hand Kindergartner with a million questions could melt my heart in such a way. And when I got home there was the undeniable joy on my baby's face as he ran to me and covered my cheek with a big boogery kiss.

I have now become one of those people... I will be starting a Masters In Teaching program at a nearby university. I have been subbing regularly at the schools and find that I absolutely enjoy elementary school, especially Kinder through 3rd grade.

I have since discovered that not all elementary school teachers are "sweet spirits". In fact, one of the hottest Latino men I ever met was once a third grade teacher. I liked him so much that I said yes to his marriage proposal after he cooked me some delicious enchiladas.

And although you will NEVER catch me wearing the cutsie Halloween dress with matching pumpkin earrings and orange socks that light up and play the song "Three Little Witches"... You may on occasion find me singing under my breath, "A says a, ant on an apple, a, a, a..."

No comments:

Post a Comment