Friday, December 26, 2008

Nurture vs. Nature

Scientists have long debated whether it is nurture or nature that makes us who we are. Do we come to this earth as a clean slate to be shaped into the person we are by our environment? Or are there parts of us that have always been and cannot be changed no matter what we face?

Lately, at the Rancho, we have had this very conversation. Our debate has focused around the question of: Are you born Mexican or do you have to learn to be Mexican?

Our concerns stem from an incident with Child Number Four (of course). The other day he was eating a big plate of nachos with chili con carne when he enthisiastically exclaimed, "Dad, this is delicious! These PEANUTS are fabulous!" Mr. V had to stop and process this for a moment and then asked, "What did you say?" "I said," responded Number Four, "These PEANUTS are fabulous!"

When Mr. V came to me I could see the deep concern on his face. "Dear," he said, "I have failed as a father." "What do you mean?" I asked. He replied, "I have failed to properly teach my son how to be a Mexican. He doesn't know the difference between PEANUTS and BEANS!"

So, that brought us to the current debate. Personally, I think we come to this earth with many characteristics that are just us and can't be changed because we are eternal beings. So, has my husband failed in his responsibilities? I don't think so. After all, this child is part Tongan too, and I just happen to know that the Tongans have a great affinity for peanuts.

And then there was the day M&M came home from Kindergarten and asked, "Mom, are I a Mexican?" ... but that's a whole different story.


No comments:

Post a Comment