Monday, February 8, 2010

Baby Sister


“People have been asking me if I was going to have kids,
and I had puppies instead.”

Kate Jackson


Lately, the kids have been asking for a little sister. It first started as comments slyly thrown into everyday conversation – “Hey mom… did you know that Jacinto has a new baby sister?” or “Mom, last night I had the weirdest dream… I dreamed we had a baby sister!” and (my favorite) “This is a picture of the family – there’s dad, you, my sisters, my brothers, the goats, the cats, the chickens… and this is our new baby sister!”

I was not overly concerned (thinking this was just a passing whim) until the five-year-old proudly announced at church that his “mommy is having a baby” and the congratulations starting coming my way. At that point I realized that something had to be done.

“Mr. V.” I said, “Do you realize that the whole church congregation thinks we’re adding another child to the Rancho?”

Without looking away from the TV he sarcastically replied, “If that happens we will have to name her Milagro (Miracle).”



And so we did the next best thing – We bought the kids a puppy.

Bella (named in honor of THE Bella from THAT famous novel) is a white, supposedly Cockapoo, who has a striking resemblance to the dog from the movie Bolt.

Like "new parents" Mr. V and I decided we needed to educate ourselves on how to best care for and raise this new family member. And so, we became devoted fans of Cesar Millan, faithfully watching The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel.

We studied Cesar’s complete literary collection with titles such as How to Raise the Perfect Dog, Be the Pack Leader, and The Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems. We even secretly subscribed to Cesar’s Way – “the premier lifestyle magazine for people with dogs”.

Needless to say we have become quite knowledgeable on the topics of crate training, proper dog nutrition, and puppy apparel. We can tell you what the experts say about feeding schedules, house breaking, and grooming "in five easy steps".

In addition to our impressive collection of baseball mitts, Tonka trucks, and Twilight paraphernalia we now have doggy bones and chew toys.

Last night, after all the kids (and the puppy) were asleep Mr. V. turned to me and said, “Dear, having a puppy is a lot of work! I’m exhausted… Do you realize I have to get up with Bella every night to let her out?”

“I’m sorry,” I said, trying to hide my smile and feeling a bit hard hearted for not showing more sympathy.

After all, he was talking to the woman who has changed 27,375 diapers (yes, I actually did the math), cleaned up at least 100,000 sticky messes, watched over 20,000 episodes of Dora, listened to countless hours of teenage drama, survived on minimal sleep... and through it all has managed to remain somewhat sane and coherent.

Yes, I think getting a puppy has been a good thing for the Rancho.


2 comments:

  1. She is very cute! I also got a permanent "baby" after my youngest. I swore I wouldn't get something else to train until I was done changing diapers and potty training.

    Puppys are good for what ails ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is hysterical! Your kids are a riot! And you let that hubby walk a ways in your shoes! lol!

    ReplyDelete