Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Remembering Montevideo


“I like him because he smiles at me and means it.”
Anonymous



It was an unlikely meeting in an unlikely place and yet, in that moment things were forever changed.

Now, I don’t consider myself a hopeless romantic, and I am certainly not an expert on commitment, but I can tell you this. There are times when the most unlikely becomes the very thing that fills the empty spaces of life.

And, so in this moment I am feeling a bit sentimental. It has started to rain and somehow, the smell of rain reminds me of tortas fritas, dulce de leche, cobblestone, and mist.

It brings to memory that “Adios” means hello, that vos is tu, and that the “ll” in “callerolls gently off your tongue. And in my thoughts I see the Southern Cross, La Ciudad Vieja, and the sparkle of lights along La Rambla.

In this moment I reflect upon those things that have come to fill my spaces – the smell of baking bread; the sound of children’s laughter; the warmth of being close; and the feeling of belonging. All around me are reminders that even in tears and trials come some of the most unlikely joys.



No comments:

Post a Comment